Monday, February 18, 2008

Nippy

Ok, I adopted/bought a blue and gold about 3 weeks ago. I went to the mans house, even held Ralph (now ralphie). Then the next day I held her at the vets office, and the next day at home. But since then I have not been able to pick her up at all. She lundges at me and tries to bit. My finger ended up in her beak a couple times but she didnt' bite down, I believe she is just warning me to leave her alone.

Do I persist? I want to hold her and love on her so bad. But I have only been able to hold her three times since getting her. I know very little about her, other than she is 5 yrs old, I am her third owner. Her first one died, second one didnt' have time for her. I am going to be her final owner. I want her to love me. I was almost in tears this morning cause she wouldn't let me hold her. :-( How do I get her to trust me?

She already eats from my hand, and drinks from my cup when I hold it up to her when she is on top of her cage. She will sometimes even dance on the cage for us. Often I will say step up, and she will lift her foot as if she wants to step on my arm, then she lundges and squawks at me. I tried putting a towel over my arm this morning to try and get her off her cage. She again kept lundging and biting at the towel. She even put a hole in it.

I have been able to feed her from the palm of my hand and my fingers. Just unable to pick her up again. Occasionally I can pet her on the head and beak, but she only allows this through the cage bars, even then she protests a bit.

I have tried to get her to step up on what her previous owner called a 'discipline stick'. She is scared to death of it, shrieks and runs. So, I have gotten rid of it...when he told me about it, I thought it didn't sound right...I don't even like his name for it.

Advice please :-(

No comments: